Injury Laws in New Jersey
The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A. explains personal injury laws in simple terms to help people understand their legal options for NJ cases.
Injuries caused by auto accidents, medical malpractice, defective products, unsafe work conditions, nursing home abuse, and domestic violence can happen accidentally, on purpose, or because of negligence. If you are hurt in any of these scenarios, you should seek a professional to represent you. A personal injury lawyer in NJ is the best-equipped person to proceed with a lawsuit for damages incurred by you due to the injury. Damage to your reputation from slander and libel, as well as cases of fraud, are cases for which to seek a personal injury lawyer also.
The law allows you to seek compensation for damages for:
- Lost future wages or earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering the injury has caused
- Past and future medical bills and claims
- Past lost wages
- Property damage and replacement
- Punitive damages
NJ Statute of Limitations
Time can go quickly if you are hospitalized or in rehabilitation after you are injured. However, there is a NJ law that restricts the amount of time that may elapse in personal injury cases. The statute of limitations for NJ personal injury cases is as follows:
- Fraud – Six years
- Injury to a person – Two years
- Libel and slander – One year
- Malpractice – Two years
- Personal property damage – Six years
Injuries at the Workplace
Injuries at your workplace are covered by the workers compensation insurance provided by your employer. Workers comp laws vary from state to state. If you were injured in your workplace, call an experienced injury lawyer in NJ to review your case.
Wrongful Death Claims in NJ
A wrongful or accidental death caused by someone’s negligence or an accident is devastating and will affect everyone who knew the deceased in some way. However, NJ wrongful death laws limit the people who may file a wrongful death lawsuit to immediate family members. If you have lost an immediate family member such as a spouse, parent, or child, call the Law Offices of James C. DeZao. We will compassionately explain everything that is entailed in a wrongful death lawsuit in this difficult time.
Contact The Law Office of James C. DeZao Today
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury, call The Law Office of James C. DeZao at 1-855-432-2489. The initial consultation is free of charge, and if we agree to handle your case, we will work on a contingency fee basis, which means we get paid for our services only if there is a monetary recovery of funds. In many cases a lawsuit must be filed before an applicable expiration date, known as a statute of limitations. Therefore, please call right away to ensure that you do not waive your right to possible compensation.
Personal Injury Articles
- Traumatic brain injuries are more severe and happen more frequently than you think. TBIs account for approximately 30 percent of all injury deaths. A TBI is primarily caused by a jerk, shock or jolt to the head that disturbs the normal functioning of the brain. This can happen at work, while hanging out with friends, …
- The winter months mean you can finally look forward to a season of seemingly endless ammo for snowball fights, not having to worry about your frozen groceries melting in the trunk, and choosing between sledding or walking downhill. There’ s only one caveat: you have to enjoy all of these while treading through wet and …