For most of us, buying a home will stand among the biggest decisions we will ever make in our lifetimes — not to mention the largest investments. The stakes are very high, so it pays to make sure that we get things right the first time around. Too many people go into real estate transactions unaware of the complexities involved or the potential for things to go wrong. When you think about it, real estate agreements are among the most formal, longest-lasting, and highest-value contracts you’ll ever enter into. Just like any other contract, the language in these agreements matters a great deal. New Jersey state law also contains a number of statutes, rules, and regulations that govern real estate transactions of nearly every kind. That’s why it is so important that you consult a NJ real estate lawyer before wading into the real estate market on your own.
At The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A., we know New Jersey real estate law. But beyond the casebooks and courtrooms, we also understand that for many of our clients, a house isn’t just a house — it’s a home — a once-in-a-lifetime fulfillment of The American Dream. You deserve a NJ real estate lawyer who appreciates both the business and the personal interests you have in your property, regardless of whether you’re buying, investing, or selling.
When you work with our firm, you can talk with a Parsippany real estate lawyer and learn how these transactions work, what to look out for, and which terms to insist on (or avoid). We’ll devote our time, attention, and considerable experience in these matters to making sure you sidestep the pitfalls that could cost you countless dollars down the road.
How a Parsippany Real Estate Lawyer Can Help
Talking with a NJ real estate lawyer is the best way to make wise and well-informed decisions about buying or selling a home in New Jersey. Your lawyer can help you develop a strategy, get the most out of your investment, understand your contracts, and avoid lawsuits in the future. An experienced lawyer is an incredible asset at every single step along the way toward a successful outcome. At The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A., an experienced Parsippany real estate lawyer can help you with any of the following:
- Buying or selling property
- Title search / research
- Real estate closings
- Foreclosures and work-outs
- Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing real estate agreements
- New Jersey landlord/tenant law
- Long-term and short-term lease agreements
- Zoning issues
- Construction litigation (problems with contractors, subcontractors, or suppliers)
- Environmental or regulatory issues
- Mortgage transactions
- Property tax issues
- Easements, covenants, and other land use or access rights
The list above should give you some idea as to the many legal issues that can arise (often unexpectedly) within the unpredictable world of real estate. In fact, these are but a few of the concerns we handle on behalf of our clients all the time.
Our team of NJ real estate lawyers can also handle the following when negotiating with the seller of a property or when drafting a purchase offer:
- You want to include an escalation clause, which gives you the right to match any offer from other prospective buyers
- You want to create an arrangement with the seller that permits you to rent the home for a specified period before agreeing to purchase the home
- The seller permits you to move some of your items into the home prior to closing, but you need to determine what happens if your property winds up being damaged
- You want to ensure that the current resident of the home will vacate the property prior to the closing date
- You will permit the seller to remain in the home for a specified period after closing and want to ensure that you receive fair rent from the seller
- There have been legal claims filed against the property that you’d like to have resolved prior to closing
- There are issues that appear on the title search. For example, the driveway is shared with the house next door, but it does not show this on the title itself
- Easements can be difficult to understand and are often agreed upon between property owners. A NJ real estate lawyer can find out if any easements are present and how they would affect you as the new owner and it would be important to obtain the easement in writing
Whether your property is for purchase or sale — for business of pleasure — we can help. We’re here to assist with any kind of New Jersey real estate, including:
- Residential housing
- Commercial property
- Government property
- Mixed-use facilities
- Homeowners Associations (HOAs)
- Much more
Buying a Bank-Owned Property
What should you do if you purchase a bank-owned property? Whether it’s a commercial or residential property, you should always hire a NJ real estate lawyer to help with the purchase of such a property. In fact, the bank will likely require that you hire a real estate attorney when you purchase a property owned by the entity. If the bank doesn’t require an attorney, your lender or title company could very well require an attorney to help with the title search and other important areas of the transaction.
Have You Filed for Bankruptcy?
Did you file for bankruptcy? If so, it’s in your best interest to consult a NJ real estate lawyer before making an offer on a commercial or residential property. The same can be said if you have had a judgment filed against you. These are two serious financial issues that should be dealt with delicately when trying to buy a property. An attorney will be able to guide you through the difficult waters of buying property after filing for bankruptcy.
Various Issues with Properties
A NJ real estate lawyer can also assist with the sale of a property that is named in an estate. It can be challenging to sell a home or commercial property that is held in the estate of a deceased family member. An attorney will be able to assist with such a difficult task so you can focus on other areas of your life.
An attorney will also be able to help with the sale or purchase of property that is located in an area that is prone to natural disasters, such as tornado alley or areas highly likely to be hit by hurricanes. Properties that have a termite infestation, infestation of another insect, or have high lead levels should be dealt with by an attorney.
Take Your Next Steps with an Experienced Parsippany Real Estate Lawyer
If you’re ready to enter the real estate market but want to do so on the right foot, schedule a consultation with a Parsippany NJ real estate lawyer at The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A. To get started, call 1-833-JIMHELPS now — or simply use our quick-connect form online. Our firm proudly serves clients throughout Parsippany, Troy Hills, Morris County, Essex County, and the entire state of New Jersey. Real estate law is complex. Buying a piece of property is stressful enough. Don’t let the other party take advantage of you. Hire an experienced real estate lawyer to assist in your property purchase today.